Tuesday, August 26, 2014

You don't "like" me?

Have you noticed that today's technology is centered around the word "like"? Well my obsession with the word "like" started long before Facebook invented a button for it. I have spent a good amount of time and energy over the past 38 years in the people pleasing business. After all , I have been doing hair almost 20 years and my job is pleasing. Imagine my disappointment when I learned that I can't please everyone. I can recall in my early years as a stylist lying in bed wondering if Jane, a made up person, liked her hair cut. Another time I recall I offended a long term friend as she took what was meant to be a compliment as an insult... Of course I did not know this til 2 years after since she no longer spoke to me. I could not understand how one phrase could end a friendship of 19 years. 

Now, that I am an official adult you would think life would be easier, but even now this mother, wife , daughter, salon owner and stylist still finds time to dwell on the the ones who don't like me. 
 
If we are all honest we want the approval of others and some of us may even be addicted . Have you ever compared yourself to someone? Envy their success and their seemingly "having it together"? I found myself doing just that this week. I was watching a YouTube video of famous  Christian speaker, Beth Moore, thinking wow..everyone loves her. She's funny, really cute , so intelligent & she has God's direct phone number. After listening to her I saw she had several comments below and something just made me click on the list and low and behold I was taken back and really sickened by the rude judgmental comments I read. That's when it clicked... If Beth let the negative opinions of others stick to her it would paralyze her for the calling of sharing the Gospel she is so passionate about. I was ready to go to bat for her but hating confrontation I avoided adding to the heated discussion. 

So I made a list of lies the enemy has sold me... Bought with lots of my valuable time. I then found a scripture that counteracts the lie. 

Lie#1 To be a good Christian everybody has to like you. 

This is such a dangerous lie because as I mentioned earlier it's impossible. If we find our worth in this will ultimately wind up not measuring up. 

Galatians 1:10 

For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Lie#2 .. If I am a good Christian I must like everyone. 

This too is a dangerous lie because it may lead to un genuine gestures that are more guilt ridden than from a heart of love.  It is unrealistic to believe that you will be friends with everyone. But the word tells us that we must LOVE one another. Forgive one another as we are forgiven. This does not mean we have to be besties . 

1 John 4:8 

Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.

Lie# 3 .. You have to be perfect for God to use you for his kingdom. 

Ever think to yourself .. Wow! I blew it!? I was put to the test and I blew it...literally. You just exploded and it was a reaction and pity party that left you wishing you could go back and play the cool , calm and collected one? Why would God want to use me? Maybe I am a fake? Well I have been there and have asked God search my heart many times over it. The answer is pride.. It's pride that would have us believe that our performance has any affect on what God can do in and through us. Nothing about us is perfect...EVER!! Except for JESUS!! Remember , there is a battle and  it's not flesh and blood. Sometimes we are not gonna get it right, but God's grace is there to cover us and teach us for future situations. He can use our mess for a message.

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

Lie #4... You can have more than one BEST friend .

I always have had several best friends for different reasons. I could never pick just one. I am blessed with real friends who love me in spite if myself and I am so thankful to God for them. But, through life I have learned that people will let you down and sometimes you just need to fall into the arms of the one who knows you best. After all, he created you.

John 15:15 

No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.

Last but not least....

Lie # 5... You will be alone.

This perhaps is the biggest fear of all. That we would be shunned forever by our peers, ourselves, our family , and even worse God. Satan loves this lie because if he can make you believe it then all your joy, peace and happiness is gone allowing depression , anxiety and loads of guilt to rob you of all your life was intended to be. 

Joshua 1:9 

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” 


Blessings,
Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment